A recent Inc. article came out with 12 motivational quotes for 2013 (why 12, I don’t know?). So I decided to embark upon a journey to find 13 volleyball quotes for 2013. Unfortunately, it was more difficult than I imagined. Quotes of many of our great coaches and players are scarcely found throughout the internet. Google searches found some poor selections. I literally read through a number of journal articles to find many of these quotes. The task ended up being quite rewarding as I learned a bit through the research. Following are my findings 😉
1. “Most change is evolutionary, not revolutionary. As we start a new year, let’s find the practicable and ‘celebrate-able’; let’s stay congruent with our messaging, creative in our efficiency, and, most of all, let’s give ourselves new opportunities to dream.” ~ Kathy DeBoer
2. “To be true to one’s self is the ultimate test in life. To have the courage and sensitivity to follow your hidden dreams and stand tall against the odds that are bound to fall in your path. Life is too short and precious to be dealt with in any other fashion.” ~ Flo Hyman
3. “Great coaching begins with hope.
Great coaching is communicating through posture, language, chalk talks, and intimate conversations the ultimate belief that good things are going to happen.
Great coaching is being able to communicate to an athlete that she already has the “right stuff” to get the job done.
Great coaching understands the necessity for risk and the value of failure.
Great coaching is more concerned with the process and less concerned with the outcome.” ~ Terry Pettit
4. “Individual and team discipline ultimately come down to practicing a small set of principles over a long period of time. Success is not a matter of mastering subtle, sophisticated theory, but rather embracing common sense with uncommon levels of discipline and persistence. Said in yet another way, discipline is to an athlete what scales are to a musician. Mastering the scales is what allows the musician to perform music. Mastering the skills of self discipline is what enables a person to become an accomplished elite athlete.” ~ Mike Hebert
5. “The only discipline that lasts is self-discipline.” ~ John Kessel
6. “Coaching is about finding a system that works for your players. There are some underlying principles which are applied in any coaching situation but it’s about picking the lock to get this group of players to play the best volleyball they’re capable of playing for a long period of time.” ~ Hugh McCutcheon
7. “We are all going to fall short. We are going to have some bitter losses, very painful defeats and failures. We have to use those to come back even stronger. That’s what makes it sweeter, when we can overcome those and figure out a way to win. The great teams can do that, and those are the gold medal winning teams.” ~ Karch Kiraly
8. “I’ve heard people say that maybe we’d be better served had we lost. I was kind of wondering what profession they were in. I wouldn’t want a lawyer representing me to think like that. I wouldn’t want a doctor operating on me to think like that.” ~ Russ Rose
9. “It is critical the coach exhibit the following traits:
a) The coach must be prepared at all times.
b) The coach must demonstrate to the team that he is extremely organized.
c) The coach must demonstrate confidence.
d) The coach must demonstrate technical and tactical competence.
e) The coach must demonstrate maturity.
f) The coach must be a behavioral role model for the players.
g) The coach must define leadership as seeking the answers when an unexpected situation or a conflict presents itself that must be resolved.
h) The coach must demonstrate flexibility and must demonstrate the ability to deal with players on a multitude of levels.
i) The coach must never forget that his own will to win, his own leadership, his own competitiveness, his own persona will be transmitted through the team and that the team’s success or failure will be his success or failure.” ~ Doug Beal
10. “How a coach says ‘no’ is more significant than how a coach says ‘yes'”. ~ Marv Dunphy
11. “We had two goals…One was to cherish every moment together, cherish the journey because the journey allows you to learn and grow. The other was to win a gold medal.” ~ Kerri Walsh
12. “All my life, I’ve dreamed in gold.” ~ Misty May
13. Success is speaking words of praise,
In cheering other people’s ways.
In doing just the best you can,
With every task and every plan.
It’s silence when your speech would hurt,
Politeness when your neighbor’s curt.
It’s deafness when the scandal flows,
And sympathy with others’ woes.
It’s loyalty when duty calls,
It’s courage when disaster falls.
It’s patience when the hours are long,
It’s found in laughter and in song.
It’s in the silent time of prayer,
In happiness and in despair.
In all of life and nothing less,
We find the thing we call success.
~ A John Wooden favorite